Monday, January 22, 2007

Catching the Big Fish

Went to see David Lynch and Donovan last night at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood. Bizarre event but pretty great. Donovan's voice still sounds good-ish. I can't get past his affected, narcissistic stage persona and his stream-of-consciousness beat poetry about hanging out with the Beatles in India was a bit too much. Yet the songs were familiar and he seemed like he was having a pretty good time, so hooray for Donovan. Oh yeah, he brought his daughter (not Ione Skye) onstage to sing with him which was absolutely ghastly.

The lighting design was beautiful.

David Lynch was hilarious and very entertaining. Laura Dern was onstage with him as a sort of moderator, asking questions that were supposedly taken from the audience. They claimed to have set up a box in the lobby for people to put their queries into, but I think it was a lie. The questions were way too grammatically correct and geared towards what he could easily talk about. In between questions, a guy played improvisational piano. It was absurd.

David Lynch has a foundation set up to bring Transcendental Meditation into schools to help high risk youth. I think it's a pretty cool thing to do. He seemed a little kooky, talking about absolute bliss while twiddling his fingers in the air, but it did spark my interest in meditation. We'll see if that interest grows or disappears in the months to come.

I have an audition for some new TV pilot this afternoon. The script is interesting-- sort of. It's about a chemistry teacher who finds out he only has two years to live and decides to make some money for his family by creating a crystal meth lab. Very today, I guess. I'm supposed to read for two roles, both equally small and boring.

Tonight, MB is doing a dress rehearsal at our studio in Boyle Heights. We're inviting a few friends to watch us before we take the "White Widow" to Amsterdam. It's always helpful to have a live audience. I'm still not completely sure when the puppet comes in to speak, but if I keep her near by I can grab her when I need her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That must have been something to watch. I had no idea Donavan was still around playing shows. Seriously,... my favorite all time Donovan song (which I know everybody thinks is 'overrated') is Atlantis. Such a beautiful piece of music.
And ah man,...David Lynch is fucking GOD. But once he starts promoting the Transcendental Meditation program I draw the line. I wrote a paper on that program once, and I found out the truth behind the whole thing.
Even the program is too far fetched for me,.. the mystic.

Peace,

-Fernando G. *Shamanistic Visions*
www.myspace.com/thedoorsfreak

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikWr6I-e4l8

Anonymous said...

Do you mean "mediation" or "meditation"? Because "transcendental mediation" sounds like a great song title!